Why donate? (Donation Form)
Noise and the City is committed to BUILDING TOOLS to help communities advocate for quieter and healthier spaces.
Our daily lives are filled with sounds ranging from quiet to loud, which results in an environment that can be either relaxing or stressful. Research has established that the environmental soundscape has a large impact on our stress levels, our sleep, and our cardiovascular and mental health. Unfortunately, the unreasonably high sound levels we encounter daily are often met with indifference and many residents are left to suffer in silence. Noise and the City’s overarching goal is to provide community residents with tools to advocate for community noise issues. Your donations support our efforts to develop a research tool box that is inclusive, current, relevant, and responsive to community needs.
Noise and the City started out with only a handful of un-paid researchers who have invested countless hours into creating community advocacy tools around the topic of community noise. Some of our accomplishments include:
- Creating the National Neighborhood Noise Survey, which was translated into Spanish, Mandarin, Vietnamese, and Haitian Creole
- Publishing The Greater Boston Neighborhood Noise Report, which includes the Nation’s first Neighborhood Noise Report Card
- Creating the Community Sound Portrait Series, a photography exhibit highlighting actual community members and their experiences with noise in their neighborhoods.
- Starting au·ral, an open-access community noise journal dedicated to highlighting innovative case studies in the field of community noise issues.
- Developing NoiseScore, a free smartphone application that allows community residents to objectively and subjectively describe and visualize their community noise experience.
Your Investment will… (Donation Form)