We here at Noise and the City are super excited about this upcoming year! We are SO very thankful for all of your support. Thanks to you ALL, we have shattered our previous survey record of 500 completed surveys. Currently, 850 of you have let us know how and to what extent noise in your community is affecting you. However, we want to hear from more of you! The survey wraps up on April 1st 2016 so please share the survey with all you know. Official reports will be available late summer with a tentative date of August 1st. However, check back periodically as we will post key facts as we work through the data!
What we have accomplished in 2015:
- Have completed noise monitoring at 352 sites in the City of Boston
- Have translated The Greater Boston Neighborhood Noise Survey into Spanish, Vietnamese, and Simplified Chinese
- Have made available FREE Survey Kits, which include hard copies of surveys + self-addressed and stamped envelopes. Survey kits are available for ALL translations
- Have collected 850 surveys from YOU
- Have gotten some GREAT press about our organization
- Have established some amazing collaborations with other institutions, cities, and organizations
Here’s a (partial) list of what we want to accomplish in 2016:
- Continue to monitor noise with a total goal of 420 sites in the City of Boston.
- We plan to expand our noise monitoring to other cities! If you are interested in having your city monitored, please contact me!
- Translate survey into additional languages including Creole and Amharic
- Collect at least 1,500 surveys
- Focus on purposeful survey sampling: Increase African American, Asian American and Latino participation. We also would like to reach out to communities with low response rates: Mattapan and Hyde Park—we are COMING FOR YA!
- Prepare the FIRST EDITION of The Greater Boston Neighborhood Noise Report Card
- Prepare the 2016-2017 Greater Boston Neighborhood Noise Survey
- Present our findings to the community and at conferences
- Continue to engage the community residents, leaders, and media
- Offer internships for local high-school and college students to gain experience in noise monitoring, statistical analysis, and GIS
We still need your help! Please continue to tweet, facebook, and email the survey to as many people as you know! Also, check back in as we continue to update our website, twitter, and facebook pages with important findings!