Overview: We are currently seeking motivated high school, college, and graduate students in each of our participating cities to assist us here at Noise and the City! Opportunities range from community engagement to community noise monitoring. If you are interested, please fill out our application HERE.
Location: Noise and the City is located in Brookline, Massachusetts and at Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health. Our interns will work remotely. Boston based interns can work either remotely or at our office.
Participating Cities: Boston, Massachusetts; Worcester, Massachusetts; Portland, Maine; Hartford Connecticut; New York City, New York; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Chicago, Illinois; Boise, Idaho; Seattle, Washington
Work Schedule: Given the independent nature of this job, interns must be able to work without direct in-person supervision. Interns should expect to work between 8 -10 hours per week with an additional 30 minute bi-weekly meeting either in person (if intern is in the Boston area or via Skype if the intern is located outside of Boston).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Create contact lists of local organizations, media, residents, leaders, and officials who may be interested in our efforts.
- Create press releases to inform community about upcoming events
- Attend local events and present about Noise and the City
- Attend local events and recruit participants for our survey
Community SOUND MONITORING
- Monitor sound at locations using state-of-the-art equipment
- Interest in working for a small nonprofit organization
- Interest in community noise issues
- Highly motivated, prompt, reliable, ability to work independently
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Knowledge of field data collection helpful
- Unafraid to give community presentations
- Ability to use Microsoft WORD and EXCEL
- Ability to carry out data entry
Compensation: The internships are unpaid but there are opportunities to be published in academic journals and community reports and give community presentations. Small stipends will be given upon completion of the internship.
To Apply: Internship applications can be filled out HERE.